The Movement Advancement Project (MAP) seeks a Communications Specialist to join our dynamic, all-remote team. This position will be responsible for a range of communications support for the organization, with an emphasis on MAP’s LGBTQ Equality and Voting & Democracy programs. The position has key responsibilities for digital communications, media relations, and content creation components (e.g., blogs, eblasts).
The successful candidate will have strong writing and editing skills, enthusiasm for and experience with communications for social change, be a creative thinker, and have the willingness to roll up their sleeves. They should be a self-starter with the ability to work both independently and as a core member of an all-remote team. They should have a knack for keeping track of loose ends and the ability to toggle between multiple projects.
This position requires a self-motivated individual with effective and proactive communication with members of the team and external stakeholders, who can effectively manage their time, and who has outstanding attention to detail. Applicants should be proficient in Microsoft Office, email management programs such as MailChimp, Canva or similar, Hootsuite or similar, and Google Analytics. Basic html experience preferred.
This position is full time at 40 hours/week. Please note, this job is remote with the ability to travel approximately 2-3 per year. The position reports to the Communications Director.ABOUT MAP
MAP is a nonprofit think tank, and our mission is to provide independent and rigorous research, insight and communications that help speed equality and opportunity for all. We strive to reach conflicted audiences with compelling and persuasive research and communications, and to move them to becoming more supportive. The Communications Specialist must be comfortable communicating with these audiences, who often require a different approach than communications used to galvanize supporters. Learn more at www.mapresearch.org ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- - Work closely with the Communications Director and policy staff to raise visibility, understanding, and impact of MAP’s work on LGBTQ Equality and Democracy/Voting.
- - Media relations support: Track media coverage of MAP, support management of MAP’s media lists, and draft pitch emails to reporters.
- - Written content creation: draft blog posts, email blasts, press releases, social media toolkits, and other content.
- - Social media management: Manage the social media platforms for both MAP’s LGBTQ Equality and Democracy/Voting work to ensure compelling and engaging content; develop quick turnaround shareable graphics as needed.
- - Email list management: Draft content for MAP’s email list; build and send emails using MailChimp.
- - Metrics: track metrics for MAP’s digital communications, including MailChimp, Google Analytics, and social media.
- - Basic front-end website management, working in coordination with MAP’s backend web developer as needed.
- - Assist and collaborate with the team in all communications initiatives.
- - Performs other duties as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY
- - Minimum three years communications, marketing, or public relations experience, preferably in a nonprofit or other social change environment.
- - Strong writing experience required.
- - Attention to detail, ability to closely proofread for accuracy and errors.
- - Demonstrated experience with social media platforms and creating social media content.
- - Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and exercise good judgment and initiative.
- - Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic changing environment.
- - Effective communication with colleagues and partners.
- - Ability to manage multiple projects effectively, meet deadlines, and navigate competing priorities.
- - Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact with staff, the public, and partners in an effective and professional manner.
- - Proficiency in Microsoft Office, email management programs such as MailChimp, Canva or similar, Hootsuite or similar, Google Analytics. Basic html experience preferred.
- - Demonstrated commitment to equality and opportunity for all.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org COMPENSATION
Salary range is $70-80,000 commensurate with experience. This is an exempt, full-time position. MAP offers a competitive salary plus health, dental, and vision benefits, 403(b) retirement matching, flexible spending and dependent care programs, workers compensation, long-term disability, paid parental leave, and other benefits.
MAP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, height, weight, citizenship, color, creed, physical or mental disability (including HIV status), ethnicity, family responsibilities, gender identity and expression, marital status, matriculation, national origin, physical appearance, race, religion, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, union membership, veteran status, or other unlawful factors, with respect to recruiting, hiring, job assignment, promotion, discipline, discharge, compensation, training and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.Transgender & nonbinary people and people of color are encouraged to apply.